Tango Con*Fusión Dance Company has begun it’s new 2018/2019 Season
by Debbie Goodwin
Co-director of Tango Con*Fusíon
Oct 13, 2018: Our season starts fresh each September when we turn our focus on creating new work. As an all woman tango dance company we inherently subvert gender roles and expectations, but this season all eight members agree we want to say more, something to address this politically troubling Trump-era time for women.
A brief snippet of our creative process:
We meet every Thursday for four hours. Not nearly as much time as we desire but what we can manage in our busy schedules. We use this time to train, experiment, dance and create. We have planted some seeds of movement and ideas and will continue to water and nurture them both in rehearsal and through the sharing of thoughts, emails, videos, and readings. We are hopeful that you will enjoy the fruits of our creative work during the coming year.
Here are some of our plans for the 2018/19 season:
- Creating a dance performance based on the theme of a woman’s role and body image.
- Performing to the live music of local composer Charles Gorczynski and his sexteto Redwood Tango Ensemble
- Inspired costumes designed specifically for our women and body image piece by Pier Voulkos
- Debuting our women and body image piece at the SF International Arts Festival on May 25, 2019
- Accepting an invitation to teach and perform once again at the Berlin International Queer Tango Festival, July 10-15, 2019.
On February 2, 2019, Tango Con*Fusion will host its 15th Anniversary Gala & Annual Fundraiser. This year’s “Traveling Spectacular” theme features a surrealist vaudeville experience, magic and circus arts, gourmet appetizers, wine, silent auction, live music, a milonga (social tango dance) and a sneak peek preview of our newest choreography. 100% of this event’s proceeds will go toward supporting our current season. A limited amount of Early Bird tickets have just gone on sale. This is the perfect way to support our artistic endeavors.